It’s Never Too Late for a Beautiful Smile
More and more adults in Lawrence and Topeka, Kansas, are finding that it’s true what they say – it’s never too late to improve your smile. That has proven to be true now more than ever, as more than 30% of the patients at Hamilton, Wilson & Hendrickson are adults. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, the number of adults receiving orthodontic treatment rose 39% from 1996 to 2015 with more than 1.2 million adults receiving treatment. Adults are finding many good reasons to choose braces at any age, including:
● Improve your self-esteem – Straight teeth and a beautiful smile can give you more confidence and make you feel better about yourself. Braces can line up your jaw to give you a better bite, space out crowded teeth, and close gaps in your smile.
● Improve your health – According to the American Dental Association, straightening your teeth can actually significantly improve your overall dental health by creating healthier teeth and gums, and making it easier to clean teeth.
● Braces are more affordable – The cost of braces has decreased enough that many more people can afford the treatment.
● People and teeth are living longer – Not only has the average living age increased dramatically, we’ve gone from an age where people didn’t keep their teeth long to an age where even the oldest adults still have their original teeth. It makes more sense to get braces because the results should last a lifetime.
Adult orthodontic patients have several options for braces when working with the orthodontists at Hamilton, Wilson & Hendrickson Orthodontics, and these options come with varying degrees of visibility and treatment times.
1. Adults may wear traditional braces – The most common type of bracket, Damon metal braces are constructed from high-grade stainless steel. The continuing advancement of orthodontics has led to the construction of much smaller and more comfortable metal braces, which are more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Metal braces are commonly “dressed up” with different color elastics, which your Topeka and Lawrence orthodontist can change at each appointment.
2. Adults may wear clear or ceramic braces – Although similar to traditional metal braces, clear braces are made of a clear plastic or ceramic material rather than metal. These braces are hardly visible to the naked eye and can provide you more confidence in your treatment. To enhance your comfort and satisfaction, we utilize the state-of-the-art Ormco Damon Q clear bracket system. Ceramic braces are constructed out of a translucent tooth colored material that is much less noticeable than metal brackets. This heightened aesthetic appeal is much more popular with adult patients, as they are very difficult to see unless closely examined.
3. Adults may wear Invisalign aligners – With the ease and aesthetic appeal of Invisalign, straightening your teeth is easier than ever! Instead of employing the use of wires and brackets, Invisalign clear aligners utilize clear, customized, removable plastic “trays” that fit over your teeth. Each tray is part of a series that move your teeth bit by bit until they reach ideal position. The clear aligners are removable and can be easily taken out to brush, floss, eat, or drink. Hamilton, Wilson & Hendrickson Orthodontics is proud to be an Invisalign Elite Preferred Provider.
4. Accelerated orthodontic treatment – Acceledent Aura – One of the primary questions adult patients ask when beginning orthodontic treatment is, “How long will my treatment take?” Your Lawrence and Topeka, Kansas orthodontists and team take pride in offering only the most innovative orthodontic techniques and procedures. One such procedure is called Acceledent Aura, – a new, safe and effective, hands-free device that is designed to accelerate orthodontic treatment. Using SoftPulse Technology™, AcceleDent Aura can accelerate tooth movement up to 50% by generating small vibrations, or micropulses, to enhance the movement directed by your braces. With the more efficient tooth movement, you could decrease your orthodontic treatment time and can even make your braces more comfortable to wear.
Do you have further questions about adult options for braces? Call the professionals at Hamilton, Wilson, & Hendrickson Orthodontics in Topeka at (785) 272-3722. We look forward to transforming your smile!